The United States government must protect its people from gun violence. In the past several years we have seen a steady increase in the amount of violent gun attacks that have left many Americans injured or killed. It is vividly clear that government must take action.
There are too many guns in our country that are easily accessible. We must enact universal background checks for all firearms and ban assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines. There is truly no place for military-style, high-capacity weapons in civilian life.
Background checks are the first line of defense in keeping weapons out of the hands of individuals who should not have them. We must ensure that background checks are universal, in that they cover all forms of sales, and are fully completed before selling a weapon to an individual. Additionally, I support gun buy-back programs which have been successful in some cities in the United States and banning bump-stocks.
Finally, we must improve mental health treatment and resources to ensure that those who may use a weapon to harm themselves or others, are prevented from doing so.
We need to make certain that gun control policy is addressed quickly to prevent further tragedies.
Adam’s work on Gun Violence:
- Co-sponsored H.R. 1808, the Assault Weapons Ban of 2021
- Participated in the National Walkout and March for Our Lives to bring further attention to gun violence
- Co-sponsored the Untraceable Firearms Act of 2018 to regulate the production of 3-D printed firearms
- Co-sponsored the Automatic Gunfire Prevention Act to ban “bump stocks” and other attachments designed to increase the fire rate of weapons
- Supports legislation that would prevent ammunition being sold online
- Co-sponsored H.R. 4240, the Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act of 2017
- Supports legislation that would ensure a background check has been completed before a weapon is sold